Politics & Government

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Can a 16 year old write to a representative legally?

Right now, I'm writing a letter to my representative online, asking her to support a bill.





It wants me to fill in all this information though, like my address, and contact information.





Two questions:





1. Under "Prefix", what am I suppose to put? I'm not exactly a "Mr." yet, I'm just 16.





2. Will people actually try to contact me? Is that realistic?



There is no age requirement.





If you are male, you are a "Mr."





They ask your address because they want to know if you live in the member's district.


All of the members do it.





And yes, you will receive a reply.


It will be a form e-mail in the member's name.





The member doesn't actually read all the messages, but does get a daily summary of how many messages he/she gets, what the topics are, what people say, etc.





You can give your age or not, it's up to you.





Relax. You are participating in your government.


You have every right - and responsibility - to do so.





And I hope you will continue for the rest of your life.




Well, you are too old to be a Master, so Mr will do.





Usually they will email a confirmation. That's all.





Keep writing!





Good luck, there..... Mister.





edit: Dear Congressperson,





I am a student and 16 years old.





I am writing about: yada, yada, yada.





Etc.




umm you can write them sure.. but they wont take your ideas into consideration because they know you cant vote for anyone.. now someone that is 18 or older and writes to the representatives and states that they vote and will vote this next caucus or election.. then they may get more responses




doing worry about it, just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment